The Psychiatric Dimension of Neonatal Ethics
The objectives of the webinar are five-fold:
- An examination of a child and adolescent psychiatrist’s roles in the NICU
- The ethical dimensions surrounding the roles with the application of AACAP's Code of Ethics for guidance
- Discussion of the impact of stress on parental decision making
- Review the spectrum of shared decision making and the potential role of collaborative paternalism
- Recommended indications for use and safeguards to consider if parents cannot or will not participate in critical decision making.
Maria E. McGee, M.D., M.S., M.P.H.
Montefiore Medical Center
Albert Einstein College of Medicine
William R. Sexson, M.D.
Emory Center for Ethics
Emory University School of Medicine