Child and Adolescent Psychiatry Training
There are several different training pathways to a career in child and adolescent psychiatry, each of which offers a unique training experience based on your interests:
- Traditional Training Programs - Residents complete five total years of training: three years of general psychiatry residency training (including internship), plus two years of child and adolescent psychiatry specialty training.
Visit the ACGME website's Institution and Program Finder
- Select “Child and Adolescent Psychiatry” in the specialty dropdown box and click the View Report button to generate a list of CAP programs.
- Integrated Training Programs - Residents complete five years of training in general psychiatry and child and adolescent psychiatry at the same time.
What is an integrated training program?
List of Integrated Training Programs
- Triple Board Programs - Residents complete five years of training that combines pediatrics, general psychiatry, and child and adolescent psychiatry training in a single integrated experience.
List of Triple Board Programs and Training Directors
- Post Pediatric Portal Programs (PPPP) - Pediatricians become board-certified in general psychiatry and child and adolescent psychiatry after completing a three-year training experience.
Learn more about the PPPP.
Source: Erica Shoemaker, Los Angeles County / USC Medical Cente
Child and Adolescent Psychiatry Training Programs - CareerMD
Find Child and Adolescent Psychiatry training programs throughout the country.
Child and Adolescent Psychiatry Fellowship: How and When to Apply
Rebecca Klisz-Hulbert, MD, Wayne State University, Ayesha Waheed, MD, Drexel University, and Anna Kerlek, MD, The Ohio State University.
Supported by the AADPRT Recruitment Committee, created August 2018, edited February 2019.
National Residency Match Program (NRMP)
Residents register their match lists here.
American Board of Psychiatry and Neurology (ABPN)
Check here for information on board examination dates, competency requirements, and subspecialty information in psychiatry and neurology.
Fellowships and Residency Interactive Database (FREIDA)
Search the FREIDA database to get up to date information on training programs.
Other Career Specialty Information
About Addiction Psychiatry
Source: American Academy of Addiction Psychiatry (AAAP)
The Field of Child Neurology
Source: Child Neurology Foundation (CNF)
What Psychiatrists Can Do About Climate Change
Source: Climate Psychiatry Alliance
Why Consider Fellowship Training in Consultation-Liaison Psychiatry?
Source: Academy of Consultation-Liaison Psychiatry (ACLP)
Association of Directors of Forensic Psychiatry Fellowships (ADFPF)
Source: American Academy of Psychiatry and the Law (AAPL)
Choosing the Right Training Program if You Want to Learn Psychotherapy
Martin J. Drell, MD, Louisiana State University Health Sciences Center New Orleans, and Michael Shapiro, MD, University of Florida - June 2020
To learn more about psychotherapy visit here.
Public and Community Psychiatry Fellowships
Source: American Association for Community Psychiatry (AACP)