CALLING ALL EARLY CAREER CHILD AND ADOLESCENT PSYCHIATRY RESEARCHERS!
AACAP’s Research Committee is seeking applications for our second annual child and adolescent psychiatry Early Research Career Colloquium!
Occurring at AACAP’s 67th Annual Meeting in San Francisco, California, October 19-24, 2020, this one-day event is a unique opportunity for up to 12 early research career child and adolescent psychiatrists to receive a full day of mentorship from leaders in the field AND to secure ongoing regular mentorship by experienced child psychiatry researchers to bolster the chances of independent grant funding as a principal investigator (PI) of a career development (K) award or other equivalent National Institutes of Health (NIH) grant. Nearly 90% of 2019 participants found this experience Extremely Valuable to their career development.
The day-long program will include:
- Opening session providing an update on the NIH’s strategic plan and funding priorities relevant to child and adolescent psychiatrists.
- Break-out groups led by nationally recognized and experienced research faculty from academic child and adolescent psychiatry research programs on topics such as:
- Career development;
- Identifying and networking with mentors;
- Addressing specific gender and underrepresented minority issues; and
- Discussing practical ways to achieve work-life harmony.
- Participants will present to their group and senior faculty member(s) a research proposal for review and critique.
- Closing session of networking for all attendees.
All participants will submit their research proposal prior to AACAP’s Annual Meeting and an evaluation following.
This colloquium is co-chaired by David Cochran, MD, PhD (University of Massachusetts), Anne Glowinski, MD, MPE (Washington University), Manpreet Singh, MD, MS (Stanford University), and Daniel Dickstein, MD (Brown University).
Ideal candidates are:
- MDs, DOs, MD/PhDs, or DO/PhDs
- Child and adolescent psychiatrists or triple board trained
- Current trainees or within 5 years of completing fellowship
- Interested in submitting a K or equivalent grant application within the next 3 years
- AACAP members or those with an AACAP membership application pending
- Preference will be given to those who have not participated in the past
Submit all application materials to firstname.lastname@example.org by May 15, 2020.
- Application form
- Two-page (1-inch margins, Arial 11-point font) statement of research interest. Please include the following:
- Your background and interest in research;
- Summary of draft project you will be submitting;
- What you hope to gain from the AACAP Research Colloquium; and
- Plan for grant submissions in the next 2 years.
- One-page letter of recommendation from mentor or training director about your research potential and interest.
Please contact AACAP’s Department of Research, Grants, and Workforce at email@example.com or call 202.966.7300 for additional information or questions.