2019 Systems of Care Special Program Clinical Projects
Co-sponsored by SAMHSA's Center for Mental Health Services and AACAP's Committee on Community-based Systems of Care
The American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry (AACAP) is pleased to announce the opportunity for child and adolescent psychiatry fellows to apply to participate in the 2019 Systems of Care Special Program Clinical Projects, which provide an opportunity to learn about treating children with mental disorders within the community-based systems of care.
The AACAP 2019 Special Program is a day-long event taking place on Monday, October 14 in Chicago, IL. The program aims to provide child psychiatrists and other mental health providers with an understanding of how the opioid epidemic impacts parents with substance use and abuse within the child welfare system and how to create a responsive system of care.
- $1,000 (plus shared funds)
- The opportunity to be part of a learning community focused on system-based practice for youth with AID
- Receive mentoring from members of the Systems of Care and Autism and Intellectual Disability Committees
- The chance to network with colleagues working in systems-based care for youth with AID.
- Applicants must be child and adolescent psychiatry fellows at the time of the AACAP Annual Meeting in October 2019;
- Participants must be currently enrolled in a fellowship program in the United States; fellows in their first or second year of child fellowship training are eligible. Triple Boarders in their fourth or fifth year of training in their triple board programs are eligible;
- Participants must either be members of the AACAP or have a membership application pending at the time of application.
- Participants must attend the Special program and at least one other Annual Meeting event sponsored by AACAP’s Committee on Community-based Systems of Care;
- Scholarship recipients will have to present a poster on a Systems of Care topic/project related to AID during the lunch break;
- Recipients must also give a presentation on what they have learned to fellows in their training programs and write a brief essay on their experience.
- Application cycle begins June 13, 2019, and closes August 5, 2019.
- Use the online awards system to complete your application and to upload your Curriculum Vitae, a personal statement articulating a compelling reason for wanting to attend the Systems of Care Special Program, a poster topic form, and a letter of shared funding support from a local institution. Your Fellowship Program Director must also upload a completed form indicating good standing from your training program.
- Please see complete detailed instructions on the online awards system.
- Applications will be reviewed by members of the Committee on Community-Based Systems of Care. Recipients will be notified in early August.
Letter of Shared Funding
Applicants must submit a Letter of Shared Funding that should include the following information:
- The name of the sponsoring institution/program;
- The total dollar amount that will be provided to the trainee (minimum cost-share amount of $300);
- A statement indicating that documentation proving receipt of payment by the trainee will be provided to AACAP by the institution/program;
- A signature on behalf of the institution/program by an authorized signer, indicating financial responsibility for the amount indicated.
Oftentimes, applicants secure funding through their training program or regional organization. Applicants who have difficulty in securing local funding should contact the AACAP’s Department of Government Affairs and Clinical Practice at firstname.lastname@example.org for assistance by August 5 2019.
The application cycle opens June 13, 2019 and all closes at 5:00 pm (EDT) on August 5, 2019.
*Residents may apply to both the Special Program Scholarship and the Educational Outreach Program; however, individuals cannot receive both awards at the same time.
AACAP reserves the right to waive liabilities.
For more information, contact AACAP’s Clinical Practice Manager at email@example.com.