Catchers in the Rye
"I keep picturing all these little kids playing some game in this big field of rye and all. Thousands of little kids, and nobody's around – nobody big, I mean – except me. And I'm standing on the edge of some crazy cliff. What I have to do, I have to catch everybody if they start to go over the cliff."
J.D. Salinger, The Catcher in the Rye
2021 Catchers in the Rye Humanitarian Award Recipient: Mrs. Hillary Rodham Clinton
AACAP is honored to present the 2021 Catchers in the Rye Humanitarian Award to Mrs. Hillary Rodham Clinton.
Mrs. Clinton. co-founded Arkansas Advocates for Children and Families, one of the state’s first child advocacy groups. As first lady of the United States, she worked with Republicans and Democrats to help create the successful Children’s Health Insurance Program, which provides health coverage to more than 8 million children and has helped cut the uninsured rate for children in half.
Read more about Mrs. Clinton’s historic leadership and work as a champion for children’s mental health.
The AACAP Catchers in the Rye Humanitarian Award is awarded by the AACAP Executive Committee. It was established in 1990 to honor an individual who has made sustained and significant contributions to the field of children's mental health. Contributions may include but are not limited to advocacy, increasing awareness, entrepreneurship, philanthropy, research, and/or acts of bravery/kindness.
Nominations are now being accepted for the American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry (AACAP)'s Catchers in the Rye Humanitarian Award. The deadline to submit a nomination is June 30, 2022.
- Name and contact information, including email, phone number, and mailing address, of nominator;
- Name and contact information, including email, phone number, and mailing address, of nominee;
- 250-500 word explanation of why the nominee deserves the award;
- 2-3 paragraph biography or abridged CV (no more than 4 pages) of the nominee;
- If available, supporting information that would be helpful to inform the selection committee, such as a website, book, magazine, or journal profile.
Humanitarian Award Nominees:
- Only AACAP members may submit nominations
- Only non-AACAP-members are eligible to receive the award
Please submit the following information with the nomination:
- Name and contact information, including email, phone number, and mailing address, of nominator
- Name and contact information, including email, phone number, and mailing address, of the nominee
- 2-3 paragraph biography or C.V. of the nominee
- 250 – 500 word explanation of why the nominee deserves the award
- If available, supporting information that would be helpful to inform the selection committee, such as a website, book, magazine or journal profile
All nominations must be submitted to the AACAP Development Office via email at firstname.lastname@example.org. Nominations must be in a Word or PDF format. Please write “AACAP 2022 Humanitarian Award Nomination” in the subject line of the email.
AACAP's Catchers in the Rye Humanitarian Award recipient will be recognized for their impact on children's mental health at AACAP's 69th Annual Meeting. Recipients are required to attend the awards ceremony at AACAP's Annual Meeting.
Past AACAP Catchers in the Rye Humanitarian Award Recipients
AACAP’s Assembly Catchers in the Rye Awards are the Assembly’s most prestigious awards that recognize an AACAP member, an AACAP component (committee, task force, or work group), and a regional organization of child and adolescent psychiatry in recognition of outstanding advocacy on behalf of children and adolescents.
Nominations should describe the nominee’s advocacy work and why the nominee deserves the award (100-300 words).
Please send your nominations to the Executive Office, email@example.com, by August 1, 2022.