Getting Help

Last updated February 2020

Child and Adolescent Psychiatrist Finder
Not all children who have experienced a disaster will need treatment. However, treatment can help prevent or minimize trauma. To obtain help, parents should try to find a mental health professional who has advanced training and experience with evaluating and treating children, adolescents, and families. It is important to find a comfortable match between your child, your family, and the mental health professional.

A child and adolescent psychiatrist is a physician who specializes in the diagnosis and, treatment of disorders of thinking, feeling and behavior that affect children, adolescents, and their families. Child and adolescent psychiatrists have completed four years of medical school, at least three years of residency training in medicine, neurology, or general psychiatry with adults, and two years of additional training in psychiatric work with children, adolescents, and their families.

Bear in mind that because of the extensive training required, there is a nationwide shortage of child and adolescent psychiatrists. To learn more about other mental health professionals and places where families can find help, read Where to Find Help For Your Child.

The National Center for PTSD

SAMHSA Trauma-Informed Approach and Trauma-Specific Interventions

SAMHSA Disaster Technical Assistance Center

SESAME - Let’s Get Ready! Planning Together for Emergencies