Patient Safety Course
Patient Safety Course (Effective 2016)
The ABPN patient safety activity requirement applies to diplomates whose first block of CC activities began in 2017 or later. Those diplomates are required to do or have done a patient safety activity within three years prior or three years after entering the CC Program. Diplomates of the ABPN are required to participate in an ABPN-approved patient safety activity to ensure they have adequate knowledge of safety science and principles.
- A diplomate who is initially certifying or recertifying in 2021 can complete the patient safety activity within the three years prior to recertifying (2018-2020) OR during their first CC block (2022-2024).
- A candidate who is taking their initial certification exam in 2016 can complete the Patient Safety Course within the three years prior to certifying (2013-2015) OR during their first C-MOC block (2017-2019).
Choose from ONE of the following options to complete the Patient Safety Course:
- A Patient Safety Course required by an accredited institution (e.g., hospitals, clinics, training programs); OR
- A Patient Safety Course listed on the ABPN Approved Products List. Some no-cost or reduced cost ABPN-approved activities on the list are available to members through professional organizations.
Other notes about the Patient Safety Course:
- The Patient Safety Course is a one-time requirement
- The diplomate/candidate must provide documentation of successful completion of the Patient Safety Course if audited.