Dear Arizona AACAP Members:
We need your help on an important issue affecting the practice of psychiatry in Arizona.
A bill that would require the collection and maintance of public records in computerized form regarding psychiatric medications administered to children. The bill would mandate information be collected and stored on the following:
- Type of medication prescribed
- Age of the child receiving the medication
- Drug name and dosage
- County of the child’s residence
- City of the child’s residence
- Name and professional license number of the health professional who prescribed the medication.
In addition, the information collected will be made available to the public and legislature on an annual basis.
S.B. 1248 has had two hearings in the Arizona Senate, so all AZ AACAP members are asked to contact their state Senator within the next week to express your opposition to S.B. 1248. This bill infringes on the basic tenets of physician-patient confidentially. The disclosure of this information is particularly troubling as it could increase the stigma attached with receiving mental health services, which could result in fewer patients seeking out treatment.
What You Need to Do
- Share this information with your colleagues and friends.
- Contact your state Senator and express opposition to S.B. 1248.
When contacting a Senator’s office be sure to make the following points.
- You live or work in the Senator’s district
- You do not support S.B. 1248
If you do not know who your state Senator is please click the link below. The site will help you locate your legislator.
This bill has the potential to affect every physician who practices in Arizona. We need your support to defeat S.B. 1248.
Please contact Ramon Gardenhire, JD, AACAP Assistant Director of State Advocacy at 800.333.7636, ext. 107 or e-mail mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org
Thank you for your action!
Kristin K. Ptakowski, Director
Elizabeth Rorick, Assistant Director
Ramon Gardenhire, Assistant Director for State Advocacy
Abby Schopick, Legislative Assistant