Title of Position: Assistant Director of Research, Training and Education
Department: Research, Development, and Workforce
Reports to: Director of Research, Development, and Workforce
Supervises: Training and Education Manager
Date Updated: January 2017
FLSA Status: Exempt
The Assistant Director of Research, Training and Education is responsible for staffing assigned Committees, or Department Programs with a focus on Research. The Assistant Director of Research is also responsible for the management and coordination of the AACAP-NIDA K12 grant, and annual meeting events sponsored by the AACAP’s Research and Pediatric Psychopharmacology Committees, the annual meeting Scientific Proceedings book, oversight of AACAP’s Pilot Research Award and Junior Investigator Award Programs and other programs developed through the Research Initiative. The Assistant Director of Research will assist the Director with providing leadership, training and guidance of department staff, includes monitoring workload and providing administrative support as needed as well as serve as acting Director during absence of the Director. In addition to these responsibilities, the position requires providing management support to new research initiatives as needed.
Responsibilities of Position
1. Staff assigned Department Programs, Committee activities:
- Serve as staff liaison for the activities of the Research Initiative, including: AACAP Annual Meeting Research Institute, Founders Symposium, and Junior Investigator Award;
- Assist the Director in managing the current and new programs developed through the Research Initiative;
- Assist Director with cultivating external relationships to maintain strategic alliances with organizations that assist the AACAP in staying on the cutting edge of programs, products and services;
- Process correspondence and maintain invoicing and payment system for research awards;
- Draft proposals;
- Staff and take minutes for committee meetings/conference calls and Annual Meeting events, oversee all meeting arrangements including: work books, hotel arrangements, travel, meals, meetings, activities, meeting minutes and follow-up;
- Process payments and expense reimbursements;
- Manage Research Committee budgets; and
- Other duties as assigned.
2. Management of the AACAP-NIDA K12 grant:
- Assist the Director with the day-to-day administration and management of the K12 grant, including responding to inquiries, processing invoices, and maintaining updated reports on trainee activity;
- Coordinate reporting requirements associated with the AACAP-NIDA K12 grant and manage program evaluations and semi-annual submission of progress reports to NIDA.
- Coordinate the annual retreat held in June, including working with the Principal Investigator and Director to develop the agenda, coordinate the meeting workbook, plan the meeting arrangements, travel, complete the minutes, and conduct necessary follow-up; and
3. Plan the annual Research Institute and Research Symposium:
- Work with the chairs of the Research Institute and Research Symposium to develop the agendas for the events; and
- Oversee the coordination of all program content and logistics for the events with the Department of Meetings, including the reimbursement processes, registration, event workbooks, presentation submission, evaluations, invitations, budgets, and additional responsibilities as required.
4. Serve as Managing Editor of the Scientific Proceedings of the Annual Meeting publication:
- Secure vendors and maintain contact with the vendors throughout the development process;
- In coordination with Meetings Department, oversee abstract submission process, which includes the testing and the implementation of changes in the online submission system as needed and updating online instruction and publication language;
- Coordinate the submission process including: receiving abstracts, organizing abstracts and editing abstracts;
- Assign tasks to Department staff as needed;
- Work with the Editor to ensure timely review;
- Ensure the publication’s consistency with other AACAP publications;
- Respond to abstract inquiries; and
- Other duties as needed to ensure that the publication is successfully produced by scheduled deadline.
5. Oversight of research award programs:
- Collaborate with the Research Committee to select awards Program Director and Selection Committee Members;
- Oversee the coordination of all program processes, including development of SOPs, marketing, scoring of applications, award distribution, evaluations, monitoring budgets and additional responsibilities as required.
- Oversee the coordination of all annual meeting logistics for awardees including presentation submission, registration, development of Honors Book text, ordering plaques, reimbursement processes, evaluations, monitoring budgets, and additional responsibilities as required;
6. Provide administrative support including:
- Set up conference calls;
- Update web site content;
- Coordinate Department publications;
- Respond to requests for information;
- Maintain files and contact lists;
- Participate in AACAP Department and staff functions; and
- Other duties as assigned.