1. Do I need to recertify?
If you would like to stay board certified, and you were originally certified after 1995, than yes, you will have to fulfill the maintenance of certification requirements. If you took your child and adolescent psychiatry boards before 1995 you are considered “grandfathered in” and do not have to participate in the MOC program.
2. What is the application deadline for the next recertification?
The application deadline for 2013 is November 1, 2012, (late deadline is December 1, 2012) with child and adolescent psychiatry examinations taking place between April 15-19, 2013.
3. What happens if an individual fails to complete the requirements of the MOC Program before his/her deadline?
If an individual does not recertify before their certificate expires they are no longer Board certified in that area. Board recertification can be regained when MOC requirements are complete and the MOC examination is passed.
4. If I hold more than one certification, do I need to complete MOC activities for each certification?
If a diplomate is certified in two or more areas, any CME, self-assessment, and PIP activities completed in one area of specialization/subspecialization may accrue and count for multiple certifications.
5. What are the new Maintenance of Certification requirements?
For a complete breakdown of MOC requirements please click here
8.How do I fulfill the Maintenance of Certification – “Evidence of self-assessment” requirement?
The AACAP has developed a series of written modules comprising of articles on specific disorders, as well as a section of seminal articles. Each module contains a pre- and post-test. These modules have all been ABPN-approved for self-assessment credit.
9. Where can I purchase a module?
Visit our online store
Fill out and return a publication order form
Call Quentin Bernhard III, CME Coordinator, at 202.587.9675 and place your order over the phone.
10. What is the cost of the module?
AACAP Members: $178 (includes $18 for shipping and handling)
Non-Members: $218 (includes $18 for shipping and handling)
The cost includes the exam(s) and CME credit.
11. How do I receive CME credit for completing the module?
Module 6: A post-test with a passing score of 70% or higher is required to receive CME credit
Modules 7 and 8: Completion of a pre-test and a passing score of 70% or higher on the post-test is required to receive CME credit
Fax or mail your test(s) to AACAP to be graded. Once graded, your certificate and exam results (including a comparison to your peers) mailed to you. (NEW- Beginning with Module 8 you can take your pre- and post-tests online and receive your CME certificate and feedback immediately.)
12. When will each new module be available?
Each new module will be available in October.
13. How long are modules available?
The modules are available for three years after their date of publication.
14. What are the future topics of the modules?
The following modules are listed in no specific order for release:
- Normal Development, Developmental Variables (protective and risk), Infancy and Pregnancy, Prevention, Sexual Orientation, Sexual and Gender Identity Disorders
15. How do I fulfill the Maintenance of Certification – “Evidence of performance in practice” requirement?
- Reactive Attachment Disorder, Abuse and Neglect, Adoption and Foster Care, Custody and Divorce, Dissociative Disorders, Personality Disorders
The AACAP’s Lifelong Learning Committee has recently developed a series of checklists and surveys to help members complete this requirement. Download these tools
(available to AACAP members only - you must be logged in the view this page)
16. Is the AACAP the only outlet for completion of the CME, self-assessment, and performance in practice requirements?
No, please contact the ABPN
for other approved programs that count towards your MOC requirements.
17. How can I keep track of everything I’ve completed towards my MOC requirements?
Sign up and log in to ABPN’s Physician Folios
. The ABPN Physician Folios offers a single source to store all information pertinent to a physician during all the various stages of their relationship with the ABPN. Additionally, use the Folios to make updates to personal contact information, update your medical license information, and apply and pay for examinations.