Co-sponsored by SAMHSA's Center for Mental Health Services, AACAP's Committee on Community-based Systems of Care, and AACAP's Schools Committee
The American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry (AACAP) is pleased to announce the opportunity for child and adolescent psychiatry residents to apply for the 2013 Systems of Care Special Program Scholarship. The scholarship includes $1,000 for travel expenses to the AACAP's 60th Annual Meeting in Orlando, FL.*
The AACAP 2013 Special Program is a day-long event taking place on Monday, October 21 that will provide attendees with knowledge, skills and attitudes to better serve children and families in the context of the juvenile justice system. Knowledge of clinical, legal, social, and systems issues will be reviewed. Presentations will describe the epidemiology of the mental health needs of youth in the juvenile justice system, provide practical information about assessment and treatment of mental health issues in this population, offer perspectives of several youth and family representatives, and describe the needs of this specific sub-populations of youth.
- $1,000 (plus shared funds) for travel expenses to the AACAP's 60th Annual Meeting in Orlando, FL.
- The chance to network with colleagues working in systems-based care.
- Applicants must be child and adolescent psychiatry residents at the time of the AACAP Annual Meeting in October 2013.
- Participants must be currently enrolled in a residency program in the United States; residents in their first or second year of child fellowship training are eligible. Triple Boarders in their fourth or fifth year of training in their triple board programs are eligible.
- Participants must either be members of the AACAP or have a membership application pending at the time of application.
- Participants must attend the Special program and at least one other Annual Meeting events sponsored by AACAP’s Committee on Community-based Systems of Care.
- Scholarship recipients will have to present a poster on a Systems of Care topic/project during the lunch break.
- Recipients must also give a presentation on what they have learned to residents in their training programs
- Use the online awards system to complete your application and to upload your Curriculum Vitae, a personal statement articulating a compelling reason for wanting to attend the Systems of Care Special Program, a poster topic form, and a letter of shared funding support from a local institution. Your Residency Program Director must also upload a completed form indicating good standing from your training program.
- Please see complete detailed instructions on the online awards system by clicking on the following link: https://aacap2.confex.com/aacap2/2013/cfp.cgi
- Applications will be reviewed by members of the Committee on Community-Based Systems of Care. Recipients will be notified in early August.
Letter of Shared Funding
Applicants must submit a Letter of Shared Funding that should include the following information:
- The name of the sponsoring institution/program;
- The total dollar amount that will be provided to the trainee (minimum cost-share amount of $300);
- A statement indicating that documentation proving receipt of payment by the trainee will be provided to AACAP by the institution/program;
- A signature on behalf of the institution/program by an authorized signer, indicating financial responsibility for the amount indicated.
Oftentimes, applicants secure funding through their training program or regional organization. Applicants who have difficulty in securing local funding should contact the AACAP’s Department of Government Affairs and Clinical Practice at firstname.lastname@example.org for assistance by June 30, 2013.
Applications must be submitted by 5:00 pm (EDT) on July 12, 2013 for consideration.
*Residents may apply to both the Special Program Scholarship and the Educational Outreach Program; however, individuals cannot receive both awards at the same time.
AACAP reserves the right to waive liabilities.
For more information, contact AACAP’s Clinical Practice Manager at email@example.com or (202)587-9671.